Exclusive : Arsenal are Magic

24th March By Marvin Berglas


At ArsenalSupremo we invite Gunners to write about their love for the Arsenal and how they became a Gunner. Today is the turn of Marvin Berglas who we are delighted to announce as one our new writers. If you didn't know Marvin for the past 20 years, has been at Arsenal Football Club's resident magician heading a team of some of the best close-up and stage magicians in the UK.

I've been supporting and watching Arsenal for over 40 years. I feel a true Gooner having experienced more highs than lows during that time. As a boy the memory of that double winning short sleeved cotton yellow 71 Cup Final stills evokes memories of elation with heroes like John Radford, Frank McLintock, Charlie George and co.

The away games in the 70s as a teenager on the infamous soccer specials up and down the country were an adventure and indoctrinated the N5 passion. After the passionate and gritty moments of the Late 70s era ....the departure of both Brady and Stapleton felt much like losing Fabregas then Van Persie. The barren spell of the 80s was not dissimilar to now so the turning point of greatness returning started that 1-0 down 1-2 up at White Hart Lane with Rocky and co fighting our way to the Littlewoods Final in 86....

Then of course the most glorious night ever at Anfield 89 ...I felt I was a worthy mad passionate Gooner and deserved to celebrate and enjoy the huge release after winning the League again after 18 years...the Arsenal way. The 15 year period that followed were incredibly successful and it was a joy to be part of watching and supporting a beautiful and successful team week in and out. We got spoilt ....any youngster growing up in that period would be forgiven for thinking that was the norm...but having endured some lean spells in the mid seventies and eighties I savored every moment.


I was also luckier than most as I was able to combine my passion for Arsenal with my profession as a magician and head of Marvin's Magic. As hospitality became a big part of match days at Highbury and the Emirates, I became Arsenal' s magician entertaining the corporate clients and VIPs before the games. I got to know many of my heroes past and present as word got around and many of the players enjoyed and were mesmerized with my sleight of hand much in the same way I was mesmerized with their sleight of foot and ball tricks and skills.

For 20 years now I have been part of the Pre match hospitality scene at Arsenal alongside some of the past legends whom I idolized as a kid. I even became the regular right back in the Arsenal ex Pro Celebrity side for 16 seasons and have played alongside Radford, Marinello, Brady, Williams, Davis, Smith and Groves....what an honor for any fan! I also collect match worn Arsenal shirts ...most given to me by players in return for shows I've done for them. Any valuable ones are in the Arsenal museum. I've also started collecting Arsenal players international shirts and have some from Argentina, France, Japan, Holland , Cameroon plus some more obscure ones like Lithuania and Estonia. I am trying to get an Arsenal players' shirt from every country that Arsenal has been represented but this now stretches to dozens of countries so it will be a tall order.


As a fan one of my highlights was being booked to entertain Pre match at the 1998 Cup Final at Wembley for the sponsors...then, watching us win the match versus Newcastle to clinch the double and then later that night entertaining Tony Adams, Dennis Bergkamp and co at the celebration party...I had to pinch myself, it was stuff dreams are made of!


The current bunch of boys are great fun too and I enjoyed entertaining them at their Christmas party. I have made so many treasured friendships through the Club and feel Arsenal runs through my veins. Despite the tough few years...it has felt harder because we have been so close ....there is a level of expectancy following the successful eras....I am convinced they will return. We always have done things the Arsenal way and that makes feel part of something very special. Success when it returns on the pitch will feel all the more sweet.....it's only a matter of time and a blip in our rich history. I may be in the magic business but trust me our future success will be no illusion.


Find out more about Marvin -  www.marvinsmagic.com www.marvinberglas.com

Want to become a writer? Just contact us and we will get back to you!




0 comments: